Driving in Nevada is not all that different from traveling through any other state in that there are many times when heavy traffic causes delays. It’s also true that the more cars sharing the roadway with you, the higher chances are of you becoming involved in an accident. Many things can impede your ability to reach your destination, such as inclement weather or roadway conditions, as well as reckless or distracted drivers. The latter often cause accidents that result in catastrophic, even fatal injuries.
Knowing ahead of time how to avoid distracted drivers and where to turn for help if needed may increase your chances of avoiding a collision. If you see someone exhibiting behavior behind the wheel that causes you concern, you may want to steer as clear as possible from his or her vicinity. In fact, it may even be possible to pull off the road and notify appropriate authorities if a problem arises.
Watch out for these behind-the-wheel behaviors!
There’s no telling what type of damage a distracted driver might do. The following list includes some of the most common causes of driving distraction:
- Adjusting radio dials or touching other knobs and dashboard gadgets
- Talking on cell phones, texting or other usage of hand-held electronic devices
- Interacting with rear seat passengers
- Lighting, smoking, extinguishing or otherwise handling cigarettes and/or lighters
- Gawking at off-road scenes, such as billboards or other vehicles that are stopped on the side of the road
- Eating and/or consuming beverages (non-alcoholic or alcoholic) while driving
- Acting under the influence of controlled substances
- Paying attention to a GPS device instead of the road ahead
You can probably think of even more reasons drivers get distracted. Even if you’re careful, there may be little or nothing you can do to avoid a collision if another motorist near you is not. Knowing how to spot a distracted driver, as well as where to turn for help if needed, may help you, your passengers and others in your vicinity stay safe, or at least be able to seek assistance if a crash occurs.
One of the many services a Nevada personal injury attorney provides is helping accident victims seek recovery for their losses. If you or your child suffers injury because of a distracted driver, you can seek justice in court by filing a negligence claim against the person deemed responsible.